Frequently Asked Questions
What is Saline?
Saline is a solution of Sodium Chloride dissolved in Distilled Water. The Sodium Chloride used is not table salt (which contains impurities and added iodine) but is pharmaceutical grade. The solution is buffered and isotonic.
How does Saline work in the nasal passages?
Saline works by keeping the nasal passages well moisturised, and makes sure the nasal mucous moves out of the nose, through the front of the nose. If the nose is blocked, then the mucous will drip down the back of the throat causing a post nasal drip. If the mucous does not move out the nose it can lead to infections such as sinusitis. Using products that dry up the nose is not recommended.
Is Saline Safe?
Saline is completely safe to use. It does not damage the walls of the nasal passages, even when used for a long time. It can be used by all ages from newborn to adult. It is also safe for use during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Are there any side effects?
There are no side effects. Because it is Isotonic, it will not burn.
Why does Salex not have an aerosol spray?
For newborn and young children using a high force spray can scare them. And a high force spray, pushes the nasal mucous deeper into the nasal passages.
Why is Salex Sea Water Free?
It is sea water free because saline contains only Sodium Chloride (with buffers and a preservative) Sea Water is not saline, because it has other minerals and possible impurities.
Why should I not use a decongestant nasal spray to treat my blocked nose?
Decongestant Nasal Sprays contain active Ingredients such as Oxymetazoline and Xylometazoline, and can have the following side-effects:
• They dry up the nasal passages, giving so-called immediate relief, but in actual fact, this can lead to nasal cavity infection and rebound rhinitis.
• They are only safe to use for up to 5 days. If used for longer periods, it will cause rebound rhinitis, which means your nose will be more blocked and more regularly than before.
• They dry the mucus and prevent the nasal passages from naturally getting rid of excess mucus which might result in an infection.
• They dry the mucus and prevent the elimination of allergens when can make nasal allergies worse.
• They can cause nasal burning, irritation, and dryness.
• They are not recommended for use during pregnancy or breastfeeding.